Sunday, June 26, 2016

Introduction

Welcome! My name is Cooper, and as of July 11th, 2016 I'll be 16 years old. I have been a book fanatic since I learned to read, but I have a love-hate relationship with the YA genre. The idea of books geared specifically towards teenage readers is fantastic. I'm all for anything that gets kids reading. However, the quality of books published under this heading ranges from Looking to Alaska to Twilight. One of the central problems with this genre is that many adult writers and editors have simply lost touch with the teenage mind, and thus, the teenage demographic. The fine line between realistic dialogue and eye-rolling crap is crossed far too often in YA literature, with text and twitter speak being hailed as if it were the "authentic teenage voice".  This lack of understanding leads to a disconnect between the book and the reader and ruins otherwise successful story concepts. The authors pander to what adults think are teenagers wants and need, instead of teenagers actual wants or needs.

What I hope to accomplish through this blog is a clear communication of what teenagers really appreciate in their fiction. In that way, this blog is geared more towards the older spectrum of YA readers, although I welcome the chance to nerd out with any book lovers my age. My reviews are still a work in progress, as I'm still searching for my voice and my professionalism. And yes, I'm aware the HTML/CSS of this blog is terrible. I'm a coder, not a designer. I'll work on it.

My first review should be posted within the week, and I'll try to keep to a regular weekly schedule after that. That's all for now, so I hope to see you later!